The Village Cafe and Bistro
Baked Creamed Spinach
– 2 lb of fresh spinach.
– 1 ½ cups of hot milk.
– 1 cup of cheddar cheese, grated.
– 2 tablespoons of butter.
– 2 tablespoons of flour.
– 1 teaspoon of salt.
– Pinch of pepper.
– Pinch of nutmeg.
– Trim and wash 2 lb of fresh spinach.
– Place in a suitably-sized pot with water still on the leaves.
– Cover; then cook only until wilted.
– Allow to cool, then squeeze out the excess water.
– In a saucepan, melt the butter; then add the flour.
– Whisk and gently cook for 3-4 minutes.
– Add the milk; then bring to a boil.
– Add the salt and a pinch of pepper and nutmeg.
– Cook for about 5-6 minutes.
– Combine the sauce with the spinach and ½ cup of grated cheese.
– Spoon into a baking dish, then top with the other ½ cup of grated cheddar.
– Bake at 375°F (190°C) for 20 minutes.
Serve as desired.